While SOPHA is a membership-driven studio space, we do rent our space to non-members and organizations. But because we are built around our membership, and their routine use of our awesome spaces, there are a few things to know if you are considering renting studio space at SOPHA.
What you should know:
1. When you rent our studio, it comes equipped. We provide set walls (including the 12’ wide white cyc if you are renting Studio A), studio lights (Paul Buff Einsteins), c-stands, boom arms, sand bags, extension cords, Pocket Wizards, and a full range of lighting modifiers (soft boxes, reflectors, grids, gels, parabolics, umbrellas, etc.) Video lights are not included in our studio rentals and may be available for rent from our Rental Department.
2. Our schedule is rigid and we rent by the hour. Because we serve over 60 local photographers and have many shoots in a given day, it is important to accurately plan your shoot so you can book the time you need. When you book time you need to include your set up and break down times – door-to-door. Early starts and late finishes, however small, incur extra charges. Also know that if another shoot is coming in behind you, you will not be able to extend your time. In short: we run a tight ship – so you should too!
3. We require the photographer (lead videographer) go through our orientation. Every person renting our studio must go through our orientation. The reason for this is simple: because we include all this awesome gear, we need to know you can use it. Further, we also need to know that you can reset the studio back to its correct configuration when you are done. The only time we waive this requirement is for folks who have completed our KickStart Studio Lighting class.
4. We rent the studio per hour per photographer. This is a fancy way of saying that our standard rate includes one photographer shooting in the studio for one hour. If another photographer is shooting, they too must have undergone our orientation and must also be paying an hourly fee. Please contact us for details.
5. We require payment in full to secure your booking. Your payment is to book the studio time and hold it for your exclusive use. Your booking is inflexible and no-refundable. Once you book it, you own it. This is very important to understand when working with your clients – a change will cost you the full amount of your studio booking.
6. You are responsible for everything that goes on in the studio space. From the studio’s equipment to the condition of the floors and everything in between, you are responsible for the condition of the studio space. While we know you will take this responsibility seriously, you should know we do too!
Our rate for non-member studio rental is $75 per hour per photographer. One time orientation is $49 per photographer. Remember: our studio rental includes lighting gear, props, and backgrounds. Please call us if you have any questions.
What is your next step?
If you are interested in booking studio time, please call the studio and we can walk you through the process. If you would like to schedule a tour, we can do that as well! Tours are scheduled at a time of mutual convenience and when both studio spaces are open and available.